Caretaker suspected of embezzling $60,000
MILLBRAE, Calif. -- A South San Francisco woman was arrested Saturday for allegedly embezzling $60,000 from an elderly woman's account, according to the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office.
The 81-year-old victim learned from her financial advisor that there were discrepancies with a number of personal checks, according to the sheriff's office.
Further investigation revealed that the victim's caretaker, Illein Cuneta Quesada, 44, appeared to have been altering the victim's personal checks since May 2011, resulting in the cumulative loss of more than $60,000.
Quesada was questioned by investigators on Saturday and allegedly admitted her involvement in the embezzlement, according to the sheriff's office.
Quesada was arrested for embezzlement, check fraud and elder abuse.
She is scheduled to be arraigned in Redwood City on Monday.
crime, millbrae, peninsula news
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Harding makes 37 saves, Wild beat Sharks 3-1
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos