Burglar arrested after rappeling into store
PALO ALTO Calif. -- A Palo Alto man was arrested Wednesday night after allegedly rappelling into a grocery store through a rooftop skylight.
Officers responded to a business alarm that sounded at 11:20 p.m. Wednesday night at JJ and F Market at 520 College Avenue in Palo Alto, police said.
Arriving officers found 31-year-old Gustavo Alvarez hiding behind a tree near the store and detained him, according to police.
Police said Alvarez allegedly broke a skylight on the market's roof and used black satellite dish cable to rappel into the building.
Once inside, the store's alarm sounded, causing the suspect to flee through a rear door and over a barbed wire fence.
Police do not believe the suspect stole anything.
He was arrested on suspicion of burglary and taken to the Santa Clara County Main Jail.
palo alto, crime, peninsula news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover
- Crews retrieving body that washed onto Lands End 55 min ago
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Two injured in accident on Almaden Expressway
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child 37 min ago
- Military shell prompted evacuation of hundreds
- Water supply flushed after teen urinates into reservoir
- Mi Pueblo grocery stores submit bankruptcy plans
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch