Grandmother of 2-year-old boy killed in fire dies of injuries
SAN BRUNO, Calif. -- A San Bruno woman has died from injuries she suffered in a house fire that killed her 2-year-old grandson on Friday morning, according to the San Mateo County coroner's office.
Lila Prasad, 62, died Sunday at Seton Medical Center in Daly City.
Prasad and her grandson were found unconscious when firefighters responded to their burning home in the 100 block of Lake Drive at 8:45 a.m. Friday, Deputy Chief Dave Downing said.
The woman was revived and taken to the hospital, Downing said. The boy, Aakash Prasad, was declared dead at the scene.
The cause of the two-alarm fire, which was extinguished in about 15 minutes, remains under investigation, though authorities believe it likely started in a shrine that had been set up in a hallway closet, Downing said.
The flames apparently blocked the woman and her grandson from evacuating.
A 69-year-old man whom a neighbor identified as the boy's grandfather was hospitalized with burns.
Funeral services for Lila and Aakash Prasad will be held Friday at 10 a.m. at Chapel of the Highlands, located at 194 Millwood Drive in Millbrae.
san bruno, fire, child death, children, peninsula news
- Target apologizes after massive data breach
- Deputy saves man after crash in Oakland
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming devices
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed 8 min ago
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes 2 min ago
- Katie Couric's talk show to end after this season
- Four boys cited for wielding replica pistol in Hercules
- Elderly woman punched in SF purse snatching
- Pa. man wins $1M Picasso with $138 raffle ticket
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday 32 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos