Grandmother of 2-year-old boy killed in fire dies of injuries
SAN BRUNO, Calif. -- A San Bruno woman has died from injuries she suffered in a house fire that killed her 2-year-old grandson on Friday morning, according to the San Mateo County coroner's office.
Lila Prasad, 62, died Sunday at Seton Medical Center in Daly City.
Prasad and her grandson were found unconscious when firefighters responded to their burning home in the 100 block of Lake Drive at 8:45 a.m. Friday, Deputy Chief Dave Downing said.
The woman was revived and taken to the hospital, Downing said. The boy, Aakash Prasad, was declared dead at the scene.
The cause of the two-alarm fire, which was extinguished in about 15 minutes, remains under investigation, though authorities believe it likely started in a shrine that had been set up in a hallway closet, Downing said.
The flames apparently blocked the woman and her grandson from evacuating.
A 69-year-old man whom a neighbor identified as the boy's grandfather was hospitalized with burns.
Funeral services for Lila and Aakash Prasad will be held Friday at 10 a.m. at Chapel of the Highlands, located at 194 Millwood Drive in Millbrae.
san bruno, fire, child death, children, peninsula news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- Senators reach deal extending jobless benefits
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break 36 min ago
- Broken window of high-rise shuts down block in SF
- Car cleared from Caltrain tracks after collision
- Police search for possible shooter, lock down school 18 min ago
- Obama signs memo to strengthen overtime pay rules
- Americans on track to spend $60B on pets this year
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday