Grandmother of 2-year-old boy killed in fire dies of injuries
SAN BRUNO, Calif. -- A San Bruno woman has died from injuries she suffered in a house fire that killed her 2-year-old grandson on Friday morning, according to the San Mateo County coroner's office.
Lila Prasad, 62, died Sunday at Seton Medical Center in Daly City.
Prasad and her grandson were found unconscious when firefighters responded to their burning home in the 100 block of Lake Drive at 8:45 a.m. Friday, Deputy Chief Dave Downing said.
The woman was revived and taken to the hospital, Downing said. The boy, Aakash Prasad, was declared dead at the scene.
The cause of the two-alarm fire, which was extinguished in about 15 minutes, remains under investigation, though authorities believe it likely started in a shrine that had been set up in a hallway closet, Downing said.
The flames apparently blocked the woman and her grandson from evacuating.
A 69-year-old man whom a neighbor identified as the boy's grandfather was hospitalized with burns.
Funeral services for Lila and Aakash Prasad will be held Friday at 10 a.m. at Chapel of the Highlands, located at 194 Millwood Drive in Millbrae.
san bruno, fire, child death, children, peninsula news
- Police make arrest in Daly City shooting
- Relative talks about stowaway teen's struggles
- Stanford patient denied liver due to medical marijuana
- Oakland A's reject 10-year Coliseum lease offer
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
- State senators get ethics training after scandals
- Prosecutors lay out evidence against Supervisor Carrillo
- Man punches neighbor whose house caught on fire
- Tentative deal reached in TSA breast-milk lawsuit
- Six Flags welcoms first seal pup born at park in 8 years
- 7OYS helps woman get refund from alumni company
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan