Grandmother of 2-year-old boy killed in fire dies of injuries
SAN BRUNO, Calif. -- A San Bruno woman has died from injuries she suffered in a house fire that killed her 2-year-old grandson on Friday morning, according to the San Mateo County coroner's office.
Lila Prasad, 62, died Sunday at Seton Medical Center in Daly City.
Prasad and her grandson were found unconscious when firefighters responded to their burning home in the 100 block of Lake Drive at 8:45 a.m. Friday, Deputy Chief Dave Downing said.
The woman was revived and taken to the hospital, Downing said. The boy, Aakash Prasad, was declared dead at the scene.
The cause of the two-alarm fire, which was extinguished in about 15 minutes, remains under investigation, though authorities believe it likely started in a shrine that had been set up in a hallway closet, Downing said.
The flames apparently blocked the woman and her grandson from evacuating.
A 69-year-old man whom a neighbor identified as the boy's grandfather was hospitalized with burns.
Funeral services for Lila and Aakash Prasad will be held Friday at 10 a.m. at Chapel of the Highlands, located at 194 Millwood Drive in Millbrae.
san bruno, fire, child death, children, peninsula news
- Man impaled, killed by pipe through windshield 46 min ago
- Officials: All accounted for after Oklahoma tornado 16 min ago
- Surprise sting targets passenger vehicles at SFO 57 min ago
- Cause of grass fire in San Jose under investigation
- Overhead wire problems disrupt service on Muni
- Immigrant families disappointed by Feinstein's vote 15 min ago
- Super Bowl 50 bid committee returns to Bay Area
- Dealers in training ahead of new casino opening
- Man makes firearm using 3-D printer 9 min ago
- Stray pony found wandering Richmond's Iron Triangle
- Homeless woman defies odds, graduates from UOP 32 min ago
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Crissy Field art; Richmond shooting 12 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Officials: All accounted for after Oklahoma...
16 min ago
- Man makes firearm using 3-D printer
9 min ago