Boy crushed by tree needs to have leg amputated
SAN MATEO COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- A 12-year-old who was camping in a San Mateo County Park when a tree suddenly crashed down on his tent will survive, but he will never be the same. Sadly, his family says that in the near future, Zachary will have to have his right leg amputated.
Zachary Rowe of Prescott, Arizona has been at Lucille Packard Children's Hospital since Wednesday when the accident happened. He suffered a crushed pelvis when the tree fell and was in surgery all Friday. "It's exploratory surgery to see the extent of the damage that's been done, but we have been told that he's probably going to undergo many more surgeries to come," family friend Shannon Renae told ABC7 News. Zach's mother said she was not ready to do an interview, but she wanted her close friend to share her thoughts. "Zachary's a very special little boy and she wants people to know. This has just been such an extremely devastating experience for all of us," Renae said.
Renae was part of a large family camping trip at San Mateo County Memorial Park, an annual gathering that goes back three generations. Just before dawn Wednesday, they heard a loud cracking sound as an oak tree fell onto the tent where young Zach and his cousin were sleeping. Zach's cousin only suffered cuts and bruises. "Zachary was saying things like, 'My legs feel like jelly. They're restless,' kind of rolling back and forth. We thought maybe he was just still half asleep. We really didn't feel the seriousness or the significance of it until a little bit later," Renae said.
Zach is a swimmer and golfer. He was scheduled to start 7th grade in two weeks back home in Arizona, but all of that is on hold with his life in the hands of surgeons and the medical staff at Lucile Packard children's Hospital. "You know, we just have to hang in there for Zach," Renae said. Internal bleeding is still a concern. Family and friends describe Zach as a fighter and they're confident he is going to pull through.
children, san mateo county, peninsula news, david louie
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud 21 min ago
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman 21 min ago
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont 22 min ago
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market 24 min ago
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire 21 min ago
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring 23 min ago
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
41 min ago