Bail denied for psychiatrist accused of molestation
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. -- A San Mateo County judge Wednesday denied bail for an 80-year-old former psychiatrist accused of molesting boys during examinations in the 1990s.
Judge John Grandsaert ordered that William Ayres, the former president of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychology, remain in custody without bail in San Mateo County Jail while awaiting an Oct. 1 hearing to determine his competency.
Ayres, dressed in orange jail garb with a long white beard, sat handcuffed in a wheelchair during today's proceedings.
The defendant returned to the county last week after spending nine months under observation at Napa State Hospital, where doctors and staff were able to detect signs that Ayres had allegedly exaggerated symptoms of dementia in order to appear incompetent, according to the district attorney's office.
Ayres faces nine counts of performing lewd acts on seven boys during counseling sessions that took place between 1991 and 1996.
District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said Ayres is suspected of molesting as many as 30 other boys, but that the cases are now beyond the statute of limitations for prosecution.
A trial to determine Ayres' competency ended in a mistrial in June 2011, when jurors could not agree on whether the defendant -- who appeared to be suffering from dementia -- would be able to assist in his own defense.
Based on the contents of a sealed report from Napa State Hospital, prosecutors now allege that Ayres used his extensive knowledge of psychiatry to fake symptoms of mental illness and mislead court-appointed doctors.
A criminal trial in 2009 also ended in with a hung jury, and the district attorney's office decided within months to retry the case.
napa state hospital, crime, child abuse, sex crimes, peninsula news
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested 16 min ago
- Pleasanton students targeted on Instagram 15 min ago
- Sonoma Co. supervisor takes stand in peeping trial
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Group still fighting to save Ice Center in San Mateo
- Clippers beat Warriors 98-96 for 2-1 series lead 34 min ago
- 2 arrested for murder of pet sitter in East Oakland
- 11 kids, driver hurt in SoCal school bus crash
- Paul McCartney will play final show at Candlestick
- Brentwood boy to be honored at MLB All-Star game
- Company seeks professional bruncher in SF
- 7OYS investigates Discount Gold Brokers
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: Muni bus fire; Hiker rescued
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect...
16 min ago