Robber threatens to shoot woman's unborn baby
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (KGO) -- Redwood City police are looking for a serial armed robber who even threatened a pregnant clerk. His image was captured by a surveillance camera during one of the heists. Since last week, police say this guy has hit five locations all in the same area of Redwood City.
During one of the robberies at a Redwood City gas station last weekend, the suspect pulled out a gun and pointed it at a pregnant clerk's stomach.
The clerk, Maria Torres, is still visibly shaken. She explained the robber said, "Hey, I'm sorry you have a baby. Open the drawer." She's finding it hard to get past the terror she felt.
The robbery spree started on Aug. 7 and the gunman struck a market on Middlefield Road the very next day where the owner's eight security cameras captured a remarkably clear shot of his face.
"He's done a lot of robberies and it's sad. We all work hard and the little you earn, it gets taken away in minutes. They still haven't caught him, but I know they're on him," said market owner Pedro Baez.
Residents are passing around photos of the suspect as CrimeStoppers is offering up to $3,500 in reward money for information leading to his arrest.
The armed robber last struck the Hacienda Taqueria Tuesday afternoon, stuffing the money in his pockets as he walked away.
"We're worried about him because of the frequency of the robberies and he is robbing these people with a handgun so we are very concerned about the public safety," said Redwood City Police Sgt. Sean Hart.
A lot of the people we spoke to were posting pictures of this suspect and there's a feeling that with the surveillance video circulating, there's a good chance they may be able to track him down.
redwood city, crime, peninsula news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle 31 min ago
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015 17 min ago
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full swing
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial 41 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos