Serial robbery suspect arrested after SWAT standoff
REDWOOD CITY (KGO) -- An hours-long SWAT standoff at a home in the North Fair Oaks area of Redwood City ended Thursday evening after officers were able to convince a serial armed robbery suspect to surrender.
Deputies took 30-year-old Miguel Caballero into the San Mateo County Jail soon after a standoff at his home ended peacefully.
"He kept on promising that he would come out within a few minutes, he never did," San Mateo Co. Sheriff's Lt. Larry Schumaker said. "That lasted a good hour, hour and a half. Eventually, they convinced him to come out."
Investigators had actually been watching Caballero's home hours before they were able to talk with him using a bullhorn. They say they had good reason to believe he was at the address after having received numerous tips from the public.
Surveillance video that captured the suspect during one of his robberies aired on Bay Area news stations.
"People identified the person what they saw in the video and then we took DMV photos and took the information we had with the video and it was a perfect match, so we knew where he was residing," Schumaker said.
The sheriff's department says Caballero's robbery spree began August 7. They say he targeted markets, a gas station and a restaurant and in one of those incidents, even threatened to shoot a pregnant woman.
After his surrender, investigators searched Caballero's house and left with a box full of evidence.
Investigators say Caballero has an extensive criminal record, mostly for narcotics and traffic violations.
"He was considered armed and dangerous, so he was a threat to our community and we're glad he was taken into custody," Schumaker said.
Caballero was arrested for five counts of robbery.
crime, redwood city, peninsula news, lilian kim
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe 15 min ago
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239 43 min ago
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California! 47 min ago
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
11 min ago