Man killed when car crashes into tree on Middlefield Road
PALO ALTO, Calif. -- A man was killed when his car drifted off of Middlefield Road in Palo Alto this morning and struck a tree, police said.
The crash was reported at about 8:05 a.m. in the 4200 block of Middlefield Road, just south of San Antonio Road.
Police said it appears the man was driving north on Middlefield Road when his car crossed into southbound lanes, went onto the sidewalk and struck a tree.
The driver, who was alone in the car, was pronounced dead at the scene. His name has not yet been released.
No other cars were involved and no one else was injured. Investigators believe it is possible the victim suffered a medical emergency just before the crash, police said.
The Santa Clara County medical examiner's office will determine the cause of death.
Traffic was blocked on Middlefield Road while the crash was investigated, and Santa Clara Valley Transit Authority bus line No. 35 was rerouted.
Anyone with information on the crash is asked to call the Police Department's 24-hour dispatch center at (650) 329-2413. Those wishing to remain anonymous can call or text (650) 383-8984, or email paloaltotipnow.org.
crash, palo alto, peninsula news
- SF officials prepare for 102nd Bay to Breakers race
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists
- Suspicious package in Livermore prompts evacuation
- Konig wins 7th stage, van Garderen retains lead
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Milone's long skid ends as A's beat Royals
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- Miami Heat player surprises student at prom
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday