Man killed when car crashes into tree on Middlefield Road
PALO ALTO, Calif. -- A man was killed when his car drifted off of Middlefield Road in Palo Alto this morning and struck a tree, police said.
The crash was reported at about 8:05 a.m. in the 4200 block of Middlefield Road, just south of San Antonio Road.
Police said it appears the man was driving north on Middlefield Road when his car crossed into southbound lanes, went onto the sidewalk and struck a tree.
The driver, who was alone in the car, was pronounced dead at the scene. His name has not yet been released.
No other cars were involved and no one else was injured. Investigators believe it is possible the victim suffered a medical emergency just before the crash, police said.
The Santa Clara County medical examiner's office will determine the cause of death.
Traffic was blocked on Middlefield Road while the crash was investigated, and Santa Clara Valley Transit Authority bus line No. 35 was rerouted.
Anyone with information on the crash is asked to call the Police Department's 24-hour dispatch center at (650) 329-2413. Those wishing to remain anonymous can call or text (650) 383-8984, or email paloaltotipnow.org.
crash, palo alto, peninsula news
- Mega Millions winning ticket sold in San Jose 1 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist 37 min ago
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos