Man tried to sexually assault jogger in Palo Alto
PALO ALTO, Calif. -- A woman taking a jog in Palo Alto Wednesday morning managed to escape a man who attempted to sexually assault her and who may have groped two other women in the past month, police said.
The woman, who is in her 20s, was jogging on a path through El Palo Alto Park near 102 Palo Alto Ave. around 6:55 a.m. when a man approached her from behind.
The man wrapped his arms around her, grabbed one of her breasts and tried to pull her down, police said.
The woman screamed and was able to free herself, though she fell in the process, police said. The man turned and jogged away on the same path, then headed south on the Alma Street.
The victim, who was not injured, got up and followed the suspect while calling police. The suspect was last seen jogging east on Hawthorne Avenue. Officers searched the area with a K-9 unit but were unable to find the man.
Police said they believe the man who grabbed the jogger this morning may be the same man who grabbed a woman's buttocks in the 600 block of Fulton Street at about noon on Aug. 20, and grabbed a different woman's breast at the Stanford Shopping Center shortly after noon on Aug. 29.
"We are concerned about all of these events, but we are particularly concerned about this one, as it appears as though the suspect's behavior may be escalating," police Lt. Zach Perron said.
Sketches of the suspects in the two previous cases are posted on the Police Department's Facebook page at www.facebook.com/PaloAltoPolice.
The suspect is described as possibly Middle Eastern or Hispanic, around 40 years old, and 5 feet 9 inches tall, with a medium build and thick hair.
The woman told police the man was dressed like he was out for a jog, wearing a light gray long-sleeve shirt and dark gray or black running pants.
Police said they do not believe the suspect is the same one who was involved in a sexual battery on the Stanford University campus on Sept. 12.
Police recommended that women jog in pairs or groups when possible, avoid covering both ears with headphones, carry a cellphone and stay in well-traveled areas.
palo alto, crime, sex crimes, peninsula news
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race
- Hundreds of food workers strike at AT&T Park in SF 12 min ago
- Gay soccer player Robbie Rogers joins LA Galaxy
- Santa Cruz police arrest crime plot mastermind
- UK police arrest 3 more men in soldier's slaying
- PG&E disputes record fine for San Bruno blast
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial Day event
- San Francisco man with brain injury missing 54 min ago
- Police position DUI checkpoints in unsuspecting areas
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities 1 min ago
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- abcnews: How to stay safe at amusement parks
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos