Parents put on alert after attempted kidnapping
SAN MATEO, Calif. (KGO) -- On the peninsula San Mateo police swarmed three schools after there was a kidnapping attempt at Parkside Elementary School, a stranger on campus at Horrall Elementary, and someone offered alcohol to students on the campus of Bayside S.T.E.M. Academy. Police are not sure if these three incidents are related, but there is enough concern to put parents on alert.
Just before 3 p.m. Friday, a 9-year-old girl escaped from a man who was trying to abduct her. Police say the girl created a distraction and ran back to Parkside Elementary, where she notified personnel, who then called police. The would-be kidnapper remains on the loose. The little girl is safe with her family.
Police responded to two other incidents at schools in San Mateo: Horrall Elementary and nearby Bayside S.T.E.M. Academy. They're not sure whether all three are related We have a portion of a call sent out to alert parents in the San Mateo-Foster City School District.
The alert said, "At this time the San Mateo Police Department is treating all of these investigations very seriously and is deploying resources around the clock. San Mateo Police Department is saturating all playgrounds, parks and any other areas children gather to ensure the safety of the community. We are asking the community to maintain a high level of observation of playgrounds, parks, or anywhere children might congregate."
"The automated call that went out with the schools was a collaborative message that San Mateo Police Department and the San Mateo-Foster City School District worked on together to provide as much information as possible to parents," said San Mateo Police Sgt. Dave Norris.
The would-be kidnapper is described as a white man in his 20s or 30s, about 6'0" with freckles and some facial hair. Anyone with information is urged to contact San Mateo police.
san mateo, foster city, children, peninsula news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Another woman reported missing on Mt. Tam
- San Leandro High teacher arrested for sex with minor
- Sunnyvale's 'Blue Cube' gets torn down 35 min ago
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Crews placing grass at 49ers' Levi's Stadium
- Hydrants painted to mark contributions to 1906 fires
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear in court
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed 47 min ago