Parents put on alert after attempted kidnapping
SAN MATEO, Calif. (KGO) -- On the peninsula San Mateo police swarmed three schools after there was a kidnapping attempt at Parkside Elementary School, a stranger on campus at Horrall Elementary, and someone offered alcohol to students on the campus of Bayside S.T.E.M. Academy. Police are not sure if these three incidents are related, but there is enough concern to put parents on alert.
Just before 3 p.m. Friday, a 9-year-old girl escaped from a man who was trying to abduct her. Police say the girl created a distraction and ran back to Parkside Elementary, where she notified personnel, who then called police. The would-be kidnapper remains on the loose. The little girl is safe with her family.
Police responded to two other incidents at schools in San Mateo: Horrall Elementary and nearby Bayside S.T.E.M. Academy. They're not sure whether all three are related We have a portion of a call sent out to alert parents in the San Mateo-Foster City School District.
The alert said, "At this time the San Mateo Police Department is treating all of these investigations very seriously and is deploying resources around the clock. San Mateo Police Department is saturating all playgrounds, parks and any other areas children gather to ensure the safety of the community. We are asking the community to maintain a high level of observation of playgrounds, parks, or anywhere children might congregate."
"The automated call that went out with the schools was a collaborative message that San Mateo Police Department and the San Mateo-Foster City School District worked on together to provide as much information as possible to parents," said San Mateo Police Sgt. Dave Norris.
The would-be kidnapper is described as a white man in his 20s or 30s, about 6'0" with freckles and some facial hair. Anyone with information is urged to contact San Mateo police.
san mateo, foster city, children, peninsula news
- Two men shot, killed on I-880 in Oakland ID'd
- Photos released of suspect in violent SJ carjacking
- Cyclists converge in Livermore for Amgen Tour of CA 24 min ago
- Probe begins after Conn. commuter trains crash
- Police say realignment may be cause of crime spike
- Longshoreman killed after truck falls into water
- Newark police investigate officer-involved shooting
- Police investigate shootings that hospitalized two men
- Credit card skimming devices found at 2 gas stations
- Steve Wozniak to give Cal commencement speech
- Italian team calls for better safety for America's Cup
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos