Parents put on alert after attempted kidnapping
SAN MATEO, Calif. (KGO) -- On the peninsula San Mateo police swarmed three schools after there was a kidnapping attempt at Parkside Elementary School, a stranger on campus at Horrall Elementary, and someone offered alcohol to students on the campus of Bayside S.T.E.M. Academy. Police are not sure if these three incidents are related, but there is enough concern to put parents on alert.
Just before 3 p.m. Friday, a 9-year-old girl escaped from a man who was trying to abduct her. Police say the girl created a distraction and ran back to Parkside Elementary, where she notified personnel, who then called police. The would-be kidnapper remains on the loose. The little girl is safe with her family.
Police responded to two other incidents at schools in San Mateo: Horrall Elementary and nearby Bayside S.T.E.M. Academy. They're not sure whether all three are related We have a portion of a call sent out to alert parents in the San Mateo-Foster City School District.
The alert said, "At this time the San Mateo Police Department is treating all of these investigations very seriously and is deploying resources around the clock. San Mateo Police Department is saturating all playgrounds, parks and any other areas children gather to ensure the safety of the community. We are asking the community to maintain a high level of observation of playgrounds, parks, or anywhere children might congregate."
"The automated call that went out with the schools was a collaborative message that San Mateo Police Department and the San Mateo-Foster City School District worked on together to provide as much information as possible to parents," said San Mateo Police Sgt. Dave Norris.
The would-be kidnapper is described as a white man in his 20s or 30s, about 6'0" with freckles and some facial hair. Anyone with information is urged to contact San Mateo police.
san mateo, foster city, children, peninsula news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Malaysia: No engine data after plane went missing
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Report: DNA on SJ cop's vest in rape investigation
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash 33 min ago
- Man arrested after standoff in San Francisco
- Emotional stress may be linked to coronary problems 49 min ago
- Consumer Reports tests gray hair touch up products
- Americans on track to spend $60B on pets this year 24 min ago
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Boy struck by car