Man's costume causes big scare in San Mateo
SAN MATEO, Calif. (KGO) -- There was a big scare over a little misunderstanding in San Mateo Monday morning involving a man wearing a costume that was a little too real for some.
Gilberto Masias, 29, says he was wearing the gas mask and camouflage jacket with an inert hand grenade attached because he was on his way to work at a store that sells Halloween costumes. But his outfit alarmed so many people as he drove through downtown san Mateo that police were called.
"At my work, we're supposed to be wearing costumes, you know, to greet customers," Masias said. "And this was the costume I was going to be wearing."
A half block of downtown was cleared while the bomb squad determined the grenade was inert. Police confiscated it anyway and cited Masias for possession of dummy grenade before releasing him.
The manager at Diddams Party & Toy Store confirms Masias was supposed to be in costume for work, but says he used poor judgment.
"He just had poor judgment in wearing it as he was driving," Elaine Koloamatang said. "But it's pretty funny he got pulled over for it&They were probably freaking out. I would."
Masias was supposed to be in costume while he stood outside the store waving a sign to lure people inside.
"I knew it was going to attract people's attention but I didn't think they were going to go as far as to be worried and call 911," he said.
San Mateo police warn people to thoughtful when choosing Halloween costumes because imitation weapons can be very realistic and it can be hard for police and the public to know whether they are fake or real.
san mateo, peninsula news, david louie
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race 9 min ago
- Hundreds of food workers strike at AT&T Park in SF 11 min ago
- Gay soccer player Robbie Rogers joins LA Galaxy
- Santa Cruz police arrest crime plot mastermind
- Elderly woman with Alzheimer's missing in Palo Alto
- UK police arrest 3 more men in soldier's slaying
- PG&E disputes record fine for San Bruno blast
- San Francisco man with brain injury missing
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities
- Wildfire near Interstate 580 in Livermore now contained 4 min ago
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- abcnews: How to stay safe at amusement parks
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday