Man accused of kidnapping children and fleeing on Yacht pleads not guilty
MONTEREY, Calif. -- A man accused of kidnapping his two young children from a South San Francisco home last month and taking them aboard a stolen yacht pleaded not guilty in San Mateo County Superior Court on Thursday, prosecutors said.
Christopher Maffei, 43, was arrested Sept. 7 after a four-day pursuit by authorities, when the stolen yacht ran out of gas off of the Monterey Peninsula, according to the district attorney's office.
His children, a boy and girl ages 2 and 3, were found on board and recovered safely.
Maffei allegedly abducted the children at about 3 p.m. on Sept. 4 from the home of their grandmother, who lives in the 100 block of James Court in South San Francisco.
He then drove in a rental car to Alameda where he sailed away with them, police said. Authorities at the time speculated he might be trying to reach Mexico.
The yacht, "Unleashed," was spotted about 50 miles off of the coast from Pillar Point Harbor in San Mateo County early Friday by the operator of a commercial fishing ship who notified the U.S. Coast Guard.
Coast Guard officials sent crews by air and by sea to find the yacht and eventually found Maffei and the two children on board the vessel.
Court records show that Maffei's wife had obtained a temporary restraining order against him shortly before the alleged kidnapping.
Maffei is scheduled to return to court on Nov. 20 for a preliminary hearing. He remains in custody in lieu of $500,000 bail.
south san francisco, alameda, coast guard, children, child abduction, monterey, monterey bay, peninsula news
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar 13 min ago
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Man fatally stuck by Caltrain near Atherton station
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption 6 min ago
- Man gets 110 years to life for Hayward teen's murder
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Statewide AMBER Alert issued for abducted...
45 min ago
- Police visit homes of missing jetliner's...
37 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos