Pumpkin breaks record at Half Moon Bay weigh-off
HALF MOON BAY, Calif. (KGO) -- The winning entry in Half Moon Bay's Safeway World Championship Pumpkin Weigh-Off was grown by Thad Starr of Oregon. The 1,775 pound pumpkin broke a state and Half Moon Bay record. He will get $6 per pound for winning the competition.
"It's the bragging rights of winning Half Moon Bay I think that drives these growers more than the money does," said Starr.
Starr is a three-time winner and arrived with a monster from Oregon. His kids are missing school for the event.
First time grower Angela Costanzo competed at the event too.
"Anybody can do it if you have the time; it was like a second job. I don't know if I'll do it again," said Costanzo.
Her gourd hit 432 pounds on the scale.
So what is the recipe to growing a supersize prize pumpkin, well growers are spilling a few secrets.
"I think that getting your soil just right is probably one of the most important things and you have to be willing to spend the money to use a laboratory and have your soil analyzed," said Walnut Grove Pumpkin grower Rob Globus.
Globus started serious pumpkin growing three years ago and said one hour a day per pumpkin is what it takes.
"I think the biggest growing secret is to make friends with people who are better growers than you," said Globus.
"The number one thing is you have to start with the proper seed," said Starr.
And a lot of water -- some 150 gallons a day.
"It's kind of like gold fever, you get addicted and just keep growing and growing and keep tearing out more of your yard and turning it into a pumpkin patch," said Starr.
half moon bay, safeway, peninsula news
- Fire concerns growing as July 4th approaches
- SF 'landlords from hell' plead guilty to felonies 20 min ago
- AMA now recognizes obesity as a disease
- BART'S top cop to have auditor assess reforms
- South SF husband and wife charged with pimping
- New Colo. wildfire prompts evacuations of homes
- Dog that killed 6-year-old boy euthanized 42 min ago
- Panel restores some pay for lawmakers, governor 50 min ago
- ABC7 Top Scholar: Michael Yu 49 min ago
- Giants pitcher Sergio Romo gets ice cream flavor
- Blanco's 2-run triple in 7th helps Giants win, 4-2
- abcnews: Pope invites Down syndrome teen for a spin
- roundup: Controlled burn; Carjacking arrests
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- ABC7 Top Scholar: Michael Yu
49 min ago
- Panel restores some pay for lawmakers,...
50 min ago