Panel suspends San Bruno pipeline explosion hearings
SAN BRUNO, Calif. -- A California judge has approved a request to suspend public hearings and hold closed-door negotiations on fines to be levied after a deadly natural gas pipeline explosion in a Northern California neighborhood.
The California Public Utilities Commission had been holding public hearings over the blast that killed eight people, injured others and destroyed dozens of homes in the bedroom community of San Bruno.
Friday, the commission's Consumer Protection and Safety Division filed a motion seeking a month-long suspension of public hearings over penalties to be levied against the pipeline's owner, Pacific Gas & Electric Co.
The CPUC administrative judge decided Monday to put the hearings on hold until Oct. 15. Assemblyman Jerry Hill of San Mateo and San Bruno Mayor Jim Ruane had urged the judge to continue open hearings over the Sept. 9, 2010, blast.
california public utilities commission, PG&E, san bruno fire, peninsula news
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos