Union City teacher found dead in ravine
UNION CITY, Calif. -- A veteran teacher at a high school in Union City was found dead in San Mateo County Thursday after being reported missing earlier this week, according to the New Haven Unified School District.
Christopher Ryan, 54, an English and social science teacher at James Logan High School, was found dead late Thursday afternoon at the bottom of a ravine off of Interstate Highway 280 and state Highway 92 along the Crystal Springs Reservoir, school district officials said.
Ryan, a Redwood City resident, had been reported missing by his family on Tuesday and his car was found abandoned at a parking area off of the highway on Wednesday night, according to the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office.
The cause of Ryan's death is unknown, pending an autopsy.
Grief counselors are being made available today for students at Logan High School, where Ryan had worked since 1994, including a period as a part-time administrator who was responsible for the school's master schedule, according to the school district.
School principal Amy McNamara met with teachers and staff Friday morning to inform them of Ryan's death and discuss the appropriate ways to tell students, district officials said.
union city, san mateo county, missing person, peninsula news
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- Local teen gets Bryan Cranston's help in promposal
- BART unveils new train car design in SF 41 min ago
- Woman struck by cab in downtown San Francisco
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Mandatory water cutbacks ordered in Livermore
- Boston Marathon bomb hoax suspect in court
- A's first pitch to honor man killed by drunk driver
- California home prices surge in March; sales fall
- WWI soldier's love letters found behind attic wall 44 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
41 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos