Union City teacher found dead in ravine
UNION CITY, Calif. -- A veteran teacher at a high school in Union City was found dead in San Mateo County Thursday after being reported missing earlier this week, according to the New Haven Unified School District.
Christopher Ryan, 54, an English and social science teacher at James Logan High School, was found dead late Thursday afternoon at the bottom of a ravine off of Interstate Highway 280 and state Highway 92 along the Crystal Springs Reservoir, school district officials said.
Ryan, a Redwood City resident, had been reported missing by his family on Tuesday and his car was found abandoned at a parking area off of the highway on Wednesday night, according to the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office.
The cause of Ryan's death is unknown, pending an autopsy.
Grief counselors are being made available today for students at Logan High School, where Ryan had worked since 1994, including a period as a part-time administrator who was responsible for the school's master schedule, according to the school district.
School principal Amy McNamara met with teachers and staff Friday morning to inform them of Ryan's death and discuss the appropriate ways to tell students, district officials said.
union city, san mateo county, missing person, peninsula news
- Victim of 2009 Richmond gang rape takes stand
- Muni driver honored for actions after shooting
- City says 'parklet' in Haight-Ashbury must go
- Man arrested after fatal crash in San Jose
- 2 wildfires burning in Central Sierra foothills
- Charges filed against man in naked BART attack
- Caltrain reopens after police talk man off ledge
- Bicyclist struck, killed by hit-and-run driver
- Patient attacks nurse at Napa State Hospital
- SF taxi driver chokes, robs passenger over tip
- Flooding renews call for new Oakland A's stadium
- abcnews: Putin accused of stealing Super Bowl ring
- roundup: Burglaries in Livermore; Cabbie robs fare
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Oakland kicks off summer food program for...
46 min ago