Disabled woman recovering after hit-and-run
BELMONT, Calif. (KGO) -- A disabled San Mateo woman is recovering after she was struck by a hit-and-run driver. The accident happened Thursday night on El Camino Real in Belmont. It left her motorized wheelchair heavily damaged.
"I wish it never happened," Stephanie Hill said, adding that she'd like to forget everything about Thursday night, "It was very scary, yeah."
Hill is severely disabled and depends on her motorized wheelchair for everything. She was meeting friends at a Belmont IHOP when a car turned in front of her, sideswiping her chair and legs. The driver suddenly took off, "I'm still sore," Hill said. "It happens."
The collision left Hill injured and stunned, but she was able to remember two things. First, she says the driver was a woman in a dark colored Mercedes. Hill also says the driver actually stopped and asked her one question, "She got out and asked me if I was ok. I said 'I don't know.' She said, 'I'm coming right back.'" Hill says the driver never came back.
She was treated at the hospital for injuries to her foot. But her wheelchair is broken and out of service, "It got damaged, the control box fell off," said Hall. The metal foot pads are bent. According to Hill, "Right now, I'm not sure if they can fix it or not." And if it can be fixed, Hall is not sure if she has money to pay for it.
Belmont police are looking for the driver of the car. But they tell ABC7 News they have few leads. There were no witnesses.
For now, Hill is temporarily using a wheelchair on loan. She'd like her old wheelchair back. Although, more than that, she says she'd like something from the driver who hit her, saying, "I'd like her to apologize."
belmont, hit and run, crash, crime, peninsula news
- Recology plant fire creates heavy smoke in SF
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos