Peninsula's Ways to Work expands to Santa Clara Co.
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- A local program that offers a unique pathway to better employment for struggling families is expanding.
Peninsula Family Service's Ways to Work program is now helping families in Santa Clara County. The vehicle loan program provides a low-interest, $8,000 car loan to parents, allowing them to drive to and from work and take their children to school.
"Being a single mother of six children I didn't have $8,000 to put down. So that was really a huge challenge for me. And the ways to work program they basically came to my rescue. They are like my angels. Without them, I don't know where I would be right now," said Alisha Carter, a loan recipient.
ABC7 News anchor Carolyn Johnson was emcee for Wednesday's announcement. The Ways to Work program has already helped nearly 400 Bay Area families in San Mateo County.
loans, san mateo, san jose, peninsula news
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Budget approved but no peace: Boehner raps right
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive 23 min ago
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that! 43 min ago
- UN inspectors confirm Syria chemical attack
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events 23 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides 14 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Startup sells insurance based on how much...
23 min ago