Peninsula's Ways to Work expands to Santa Clara Co.
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- A local program that offers a unique pathway to better employment for struggling families is expanding.
Peninsula Family Service's Ways to Work program is now helping families in Santa Clara County. The vehicle loan program provides a low-interest, $8,000 car loan to parents, allowing them to drive to and from work and take their children to school.
"Being a single mother of six children I didn't have $8,000 to put down. So that was really a huge challenge for me. And the ways to work program they basically came to my rescue. They are like my angels. Without them, I don't know where I would be right now," said Alisha Carter, a loan recipient.
ABC7 News anchor Carolyn Johnson was emcee for Wednesday's announcement. The Ways to Work program has already helped nearly 400 Bay Area families in San Mateo County.
loans, san mateo, san jose, peninsula news
- Victim of 2009 Richmond gang rape takes stand
- Muni driver honored for actions after shooting
- City says 'parklet' in Haight-Ashbury must go
- Man arrested after fatal crash in San Jose
- 2 wildfires burning in Central Sierra foothills
- Charges filed against man in naked BART attack
- Caltrain reopens after police talk man off ledge
- Bicyclist struck, killed by hit-and-run driver
- Patient attacks nurse at Napa State Hospital
- SF taxi driver chokes, robs passenger over tip
- Flooding renews call for new Oakland A's stadium
- abcnews: Putin accused of stealing Super Bowl ring
- roundup: Burglaries in Livermore; Cabbie robs fare
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Oakland kicks off summer food program for...
53 min ago