Menlo Park business evacuated after hazmat situation
MENLO PARK, Calif. (KGO) -- Hazmat crews right now are trying to determine what spilled inside a cheese plant. It happened Wednesday night inside Lyrical Foods Inc. in an industrial area of Menlo Park.
Fire officials told ABC7 News they believe the substance is either hydrochloric acid or lye. There are concerns the chemicals would create a toxic vapor.
About eight employees were inside the plant at the time and all had to be evacuated.
"They create and process cheese and it looks like the actual cleaning materials that they use to clean the apparatus afterwards had some sort of catastrophic failure," said Menlo Park Fire Capt. John Wurdinger.
The fire department responded with three different hazmat teams. No one needed medical care.
menlo park, chemical spill, hazmat, peninsula news
- Secret Service investigating big Target data breach
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos