Menlo Park business evacuated after hazmat situation
MENLO PARK, Calif. (KGO) -- Hazmat crews right now are trying to determine what spilled inside a cheese plant. It happened Wednesday night inside Lyrical Foods Inc. in an industrial area of Menlo Park.
Fire officials told ABC7 News they believe the substance is either hydrochloric acid or lye. There are concerns the chemicals would create a toxic vapor.
About eight employees were inside the plant at the time and all had to be evacuated.
"They create and process cheese and it looks like the actual cleaning materials that they use to clean the apparatus afterwards had some sort of catastrophic failure," said Menlo Park Fire Capt. John Wurdinger.
The fire department responded with three different hazmat teams. No one needed medical care.
menlo park, chemical spill, hazmat, peninsula news
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Mountain View police searching for missing boy 33 min ago
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies at 88 13 min ago
- Dozens injured after stage collapses at SoCal school 5 min ago
- State oversight may tame California pot shops 51 min ago
- 1 dead, 3 injured in North Richmond shooting 24 min ago
- Gas prices may jump from California emissions law 36 min ago
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Object spotted may be part of missing...
49 min ago
- Dozens injured after stage collapses at...
5 min ago