Dryer fire damages home
PALO ALTO, Calif. -- Palo Alto fire officials are issuing a safety warning to residents today after a fire in a clothes dryer caused extensive damage to a home on Tuesday.
Crews responded to a one-alarm fire in the 200 block of Margarita Avenue just before 2 p.m., after the people who lived there returned from Thanksgiving grocery shopping to find the house filled with smoke, fire officials said.
Firefighters put out the fire with a garden house and removed the dryer from the home, according to the fire department.
There was extensive smoke damage throughout the home, and fire damage to the dryer and utility room.
The fire department recommends that residents consider having their clothing dryers and ducting cleaned annually. Residents are also advised to replace their smoke detectors every 10 years and change the batteries each year.
palo alto, fire, peninsula news
- Mega Millions winning ticket sold in San Jose
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Wonder Girl to take on Vallejo after Batkid saved SF
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Results of Consumer Reports car reliability survey
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music 14 min ago
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: OPD gets new SUVs; Big Sur fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday