Alert neighbor helps police nab home burglars
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. -- Police in Redwood City say an alert neighbor helped them apprehend two suspected residential burglars on Wednesday afternoon.
A resident of the 700 block of Carlos Avenue called 911 to report suspicious activity at her neighbor's house at about 12:55 p.m., Redwood City police Sgt. Sean Hart said.
She witnessed a man knock on the front door, then walk into the backyard when no one answered, police said. The suspect then entered the home through a rear door that was left unlocked.
As officers were responding to the scene, the witness said she saw the suspect leave in a white pickup truck.
Police spotted the truck and stopped it about a block away on Orchard Ave at Woodside Road.
The driver of the vehicle, 20-year-old Nomiar Jonasian, of Redwood City, was identified as the suspect who had broken into the home, police said.
A 17-year-old boy who was a passenger in the vehicle had allegedly acted as a lookout, police said.
Jonasian and the juvenile were arrested on suspicion of residential burglary and conspiracy.
A subsequent investigation revealed that no property appeared to have been taken from the home, Hart said.
"Something must have scared them off," he said.
Computer equipment found in the suspects' vehicle is being analyzed to determine whether it was stolen from another location, he said.
The case remains under investigation.
redwood city, crime, peninsula news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Seismic saddles in place on new Bay Bridge
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
12 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos