Alert neighbor helps police nab home burglars
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. -- Police in Redwood City say an alert neighbor helped them apprehend two suspected residential burglars on Wednesday afternoon.
A resident of the 700 block of Carlos Avenue called 911 to report suspicious activity at her neighbor's house at about 12:55 p.m., Redwood City police Sgt. Sean Hart said.
She witnessed a man knock on the front door, then walk into the backyard when no one answered, police said. The suspect then entered the home through a rear door that was left unlocked.
As officers were responding to the scene, the witness said she saw the suspect leave in a white pickup truck.
Police spotted the truck and stopped it about a block away on Orchard Ave at Woodside Road.
The driver of the vehicle, 20-year-old Nomiar Jonasian, of Redwood City, was identified as the suspect who had broken into the home, police said.
A 17-year-old boy who was a passenger in the vehicle had allegedly acted as a lookout, police said.
Jonasian and the juvenile were arrested on suspicion of residential burglary and conspiracy.
A subsequent investigation revealed that no property appeared to have been taken from the home, Hart said.
"Something must have scared them off," he said.
Computer equipment found in the suspects' vehicle is being analyzed to determine whether it was stolen from another location, he said.
The case remains under investigation.
redwood city, crime, peninsula news
- Police make arrest after officer shot in San Francisco 1 min ago
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Missing 11-year-old boy Bryan Lazo found
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85 3 min ago
- Dozens injured after stage collapses at SoCal school
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gas prices may jump from California emissions law
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack 35 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Police make arrest after officer shot in...
1 min ago