Driver to be arrested in triple-fatal crash on NB I-280
WOODSIDE, Calif. -- Three people were killed and two injured when a car that had pulled over due to mechanical problems was struck by a passing vehicle on northbound Interstate Highway 280 Friday afternoon, a California Highway Patrol spokesman said.
A Lexus sedan was stopped at the center divider just north of Edgewood Road near Redwood City Friday around 3:10 p.m. when it was struck by a black Volkswagen that swerved into the center divider, CHP Officer Art Montiel said.
Three people in the Lexus, a woman in her late 40s, a 21-year-old woman and a 28-year-old man, were pronounced dead at the scene, Montiel said.
A fourth person in the Lexus, a 56-year-old Santa Clara man, survived the crash and was taken to the hospital with injuries, Montiel said.
The driver of the Volkswagen, a man in his early 80s, was taken to the hospital with minor injuries.
He is expected to be arrested on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter upon his release due to reports that he was speeding at the time of the crash and due to the large number of people killed, Montiel said.
The crash shut down four lanes, leaving only the far right lane open and backing traffic up for miles.
Montiel said the vehicles were being towed away as of shortly after 6 p.m.
woodside, I-280, san mateo county, peninsula news
- President Obama renews calls for nuclear reductions 25 min ago
- BART police chief bringing auditor to assess reforms 5 min ago
- Fairfield grass fire spreads to nearby motel
- Tenderloin apartment building roof fire extinguished
- Tesla Model S recall for rear seat latch issue
- Interest rates for subsidized loans may double July 1
- Workers face charges after sit-in at AT&T Park
- Fire burns 50 acres in Benicia
- 6-year-old boy killed by dog in Union City
- Sacramento discusses self-driving car regulations
- SF approves new regulations for food trucks
- abcnews: $73,000 'Most Spectacular' dog vacation
- roundup: Fairfield grass fire; SJ baseball suit 15 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
39 min ago