Unattended pot on stove results in 2-alarm blaze
EAST PALO ALTO, Calif. -- Menlo Park, Palo Alto, Redwood City and Woodside firefighters were able to put out a two-alarm blaze that had a female trapped inside an apartment building in East Palo Alto Sunday morning, a fire chief said.
Fire crews responded to a report of a fire at a three-story apartment complex at 280 East O'Keefe St. at 12:03 a.m., Menlo Park Fire Protection District Chief Harold Schapelhouman said.
The fire originated on the second floor, in the back of the building, and was caused by an unattended pot on the stove, Schapelhouman said.
A female was trapped inside on the second floor, but firefighters were able to rescue her and transport her to a hospital for treatment, the chief said.
Schapelhouman said that two other women were in the apartment at the time of the fire, but self-evacuated and were transported to a hospital.
One firefighter from the first responding crew suffered from smoke inhalation, but remained at the scene, he said.
None of the injuries are considered life-threatening, Schapelhouman said.
The fire was out at about 12:45 a.m., Schapelhouman said.
Schapelhouman said the majority of the damage was done in the second floor, but the third floor sustained some smoke damage.
Six people, three women from the unit on fire and three others from a separate unit, were displaced, Schapelhouman said.
The unit sustained about $100,000 to $150,000 in damage, and another $20,000 to $25,000 in contents were lost.
east palo alto, fire, peninsula news
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Good Samaritan alerts family to burning home
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Man found fatally shot in Concord
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body