Man pleads no contest to attempted murder of wife
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. -- A Southern California man who tried to strangle his wife with his belt near Half Moon Bay in May after she told him she wanted a divorce pleaded no contest Thursday to attempted murder and domestic violence charges, according to San Mateo County prosecutors.
John Howard Hunt, 67, a resident of Julian, Calif., was driving up the California coast with his wife on May 4 when she told him that she wanted to end their marriage, District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.
The next morning, while driving on state Highway 1 north of Half Moon Bay, Hunt pulled their car onto a dead end street and told his wife to get out of the vehicle, Wagstaffe said.
When she did, he gave her a hug and then allegedly grabbed her head and repeatedly banged it against the car, causing major head lacerations, Wagstaffe said.
He then threw her down on the ground and tried to strangle her with his belt, threw her back in the car, hit her with a metal water bottle and drove away with her legs hanging out of the car door. When she came out of the car, witnesses came to assist her, Wagstaffe said.
Hunt then parked his car and sat there until sheriff's deputies arrived and arrested him. His wife still had his belt around her neck, Wagstaffe said.
Hunt pleaded no contest on Thursday to one count of attempted murder and causing great bodily injury and committing a violent felony in an act of domestic violence, Wagstaffe said.
He was sentenced to 12 years in state prison with 272 days credit for time served.
crime, domestic violence, southern california, half moon bay, peninsula news
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction 48 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2 58 min ago
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win 52 min ago
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos