Petition launched to save popular San Mateo ice rink
SAN MATEO, Calif. (KGO) -- Supporters of a popular Peninsula ice rink launched a petition Saturday to save it from being shut down.
The landlords of the Ice Center of San Mateo want to take back the land and convert it into retail space. The property is located in the Bridgepointe Shopping Center.
Supporters say the rink has been a longtime fixture on the Peninsula for more than twenty years and they'll fight to change their landlords' plans.
The center's lease is slated to expire June 1. That's the day the rink will close unless landlords change their minds.
san mateo, ice, children, peninsula news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- 6 Nepalese guides dead, 9 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Student with Down syndrome accepted to college
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Sunnyvale's 'Blue Cube' gets torn down
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear in court
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed