Mother, child injured in drive-by shooting
MENLO PARK, Calif. -- A mother and toddler were shot and injured in Menlo Park this evening in a possible gang-related drive-by shooting, according to police.
Menlo Park police received numerous reports of shots being fired on Willow Road and Bayfront Expressway around 7:45 p.m., according to Commander Dave Bertini.
As they reached the scene, however, they learned that shooting victims were located at the East Palo Alto McDonalds parking lot at Bay Road and University Avenue.
Officers arriving there found a car with five adults and one child.
The child, a 2-year-old boy, had been shot in the legs and had a grazing wound to his head. His mother, who had been holding him on her lap, also had been shot in the legs.
The mother and boy were taken to Stanford Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries. The other four adults in the car were uninjured.
Police determined that the victim vehicle had been driving on Willow Road when its occupants got into a dispute with another car.
The passenger in that car, described only as a green or dark green 2000s model Honda sedan, allegedly stuck a handgun out the window as the cars reached Bayfront and fired at the victim vehicle, Bertini said.
The suspect vehicle was last seen heading toward the Dumbarton Bridge.
Bertini said the incident was being investigated as potentially gang related, but investigators were not entirely certain of that yet.
A second, fatal shooting was reported in East Palo Alto on Capitol Avenue around 9 p.m., a short distance from the Menlo Park shooting, but Bertini said it appears to have been unrelated.
shooting, menlo park, peninsula news
- Mudslide causes trees on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Sonoma County fire burns garage and cars
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Man found fatally shot in Concord
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise 4 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
54 min ago