Mother, child injured in drive-by shooting
MENLO PARK, Calif. -- A mother and toddler were shot and injured in Menlo Park this evening in a possible gang-related drive-by shooting, according to police.
Menlo Park police received numerous reports of shots being fired on Willow Road and Bayfront Expressway around 7:45 p.m., according to Commander Dave Bertini.
As they reached the scene, however, they learned that shooting victims were located at the East Palo Alto McDonalds parking lot at Bay Road and University Avenue.
Officers arriving there found a car with five adults and one child.
The child, a 2-year-old boy, had been shot in the legs and had a grazing wound to his head. His mother, who had been holding him on her lap, also had been shot in the legs.
The mother and boy were taken to Stanford Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries. The other four adults in the car were uninjured.
Police determined that the victim vehicle had been driving on Willow Road when its occupants got into a dispute with another car.
The passenger in that car, described only as a green or dark green 2000s model Honda sedan, allegedly stuck a handgun out the window as the cars reached Bayfront and fired at the victim vehicle, Bertini said.
The suspect vehicle was last seen heading toward the Dumbarton Bridge.
Bertini said the incident was being investigated as potentially gang related, but investigators were not entirely certain of that yet.
A second, fatal shooting was reported in East Palo Alto on Capitol Avenue around 9 p.m., a short distance from the Menlo Park shooting, but Bertini said it appears to have been unrelated.
shooting, menlo park, peninsula news
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket 49 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Wonder Girl to take on Vallejo after Batkid saved SF
- Weather to help crews battling Big Sur blaze
- Results of Consumer Reports car reliability survey
- School marching band hit by robber gets big donation 36 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: OPD gets new SUVs; Big Sur fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday