Gift card fraud leads to drug, counterfeiting arrests
SAN MATEO, Calif. -- An alleged attempt to use fraudulent gift cards in a downtown San Mateo store this week led to the arrest of five San Jose residents on counterfeiting, drug and weapon charges, police said.
San Mateo police stopped the two suspects on Wednesday shortly before 1:30 p.m. after a suspicious transaction involving gift cards at a store on the 500 block of East Fourth Street, according to Sgt. Dave Norris.
The suspects, Willie Lozano, 55, and Phong Le, 32, were found parked in a gray Mercedes nearby and arrested on outstanding warrants.
The arrest turned into something more, however, when a search yielded not only fraudulent gift cards and evidence of identity theft, but also more than 10 pounds of marijuana in the car, Norris said.
Working with the FBI and the U.S. Secret Service, investigators located a third suspect, Charles Ryan Angeles, 31, and arrested him in San Jose. They also seized numerous fake credit cards and ID cards, machinery used to manufacture fake credit cards and weapons including an assault rifle with a high-capacity magazine, Norris said.
San Mateo narcotics officers, meanwhile, located and arrested two additional suspects in San Jose, Duy Nguyen, 32, and Thao "Tammy" Nguyen, 25, in connection with the marijuana.
Lozano was booked into San Mateo County Jail on suspicion of identity theft and conspiracy, Le for transportation and possession for sale of marijuana and conspiracy and Angeles for conspiracy, identity theft, counterfeiting and use of fraudulent access cards, counterfeit identification, possession of a fraudulent identification and possession of a high capacity assault rifle magazine.
Duy Nguyen was booked into Santa Clara County Jail on suspicion of conspiracy, possession of methamphetamine for sale and unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon. Thao Nguyen was also booked into Santa Clara County Jail on suspicion of conspiracy and possession of methamphetamine for sale.
san mateo, crime, fraud, peninsula news
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket 30 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Wonder Girl to take on Vallejo after Batkid saved SF
- Weather to help crews battling Big Sur blaze
- Results of Consumer Reports car reliability survey
- School marching band hit by robber gets big donation 17 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: OPD gets new SUVs; Big Sur fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday