Search called off for man at beach in Half Moon Bay
HALF MOON BAY, Calif. (KGO) -- An exhaustive search for a young man who vanished in the surf at Half Moon Bay has been called off.
Twenty-two-year-old Javier Lopez was playing soccer with a friend, Moses Soto, on Roosevelt Beach yesterday. When Lopez went into the surf to retrieve the ball he suddenly disappeared. Nobody knows what happened to him.
Friends and co-workers are holding out hope that Lopez somehow might have come out of the water on his own. Emergency crews say the surf was relatively calm, but there are deep pockets and swift currents along the shoreline that could have played a role in his disappearance.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Coast Guard at 415-399-3451 or the San Mateo County Sheriff's Department at 650-522-7700.
half moon bay, coast guard, search and rescue, missing person, san mateo county, peninsula news
- Plane's disappearance result of "deliberate action"
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Death of woman found in home considered homicide
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos