Search called off for man at beach in Half Moon Bay
HALF MOON BAY, Calif. (KGO) -- An exhaustive search for a young man who vanished in the surf at Half Moon Bay has been called off.
Twenty-two-year-old Javier Lopez was playing soccer with a friend, Moses Soto, on Roosevelt Beach yesterday. When Lopez went into the surf to retrieve the ball he suddenly disappeared. Nobody knows what happened to him.
Friends and co-workers are holding out hope that Lopez somehow might have come out of the water on his own. Emergency crews say the surf was relatively calm, but there are deep pockets and swift currents along the shoreline that could have played a role in his disappearance.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Coast Guard at 415-399-3451 or the San Mateo County Sheriff's Department at 650-522-7700.
half moon bay, coast guard, search and rescue, missing person, san mateo county, peninsula news
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Harding makes 37 saves, Wild beat Sharks 3-1
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos