Five dead in San Mateo Bridge limo fire
Five people are confirmed dead after a limo accident on the San Mateo Bridge.
The westbound San Mateo-Hayward bridge is closed due to a car fire, according to the California Highway Patrol.
The fire involving a limo was reported around 10 p.m. in the third lane of westbound state Highway 92 at the bridge's decline, according to the CHP.
Witnesses at the scene have reported people trapped inside the burning limo, the CHP reports.
Traffic is being diverted from the bridge in Hawyard and state Highway 84 is being suggested as an alternate route.
UPDATE at 11:44 p.m. One westbound lane has re-opened.
traffic, san mateo bridge, peninsula news
- Mudslide causes trees on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Sonoma County fire burns garage and cars
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Man found fatally shot in Concord
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise 21 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body