Female jogger fights off man who groped her
PALO ALTO, Calif. (KGO) -- A woman jogging on a trail at the popular Baylands Nature Preserve in Palo Alto was attacked Sunday morning. Police say she was attacked about one-half mile from the entrance to the trail and it became very clear during her jog that someone was following her.
"She stopped a total of about three times and the same subject was continuing to follow her," Palo Alto Police Det. Sgt. Brian Philip said.
Philip says the woman, in her 30s, was jogging around 10:30 a.m. when a man who was following her suddenly attacked her from behind and groped her.
"She was able to fortunately fight him off and two cyclists came to her aid as well and I think the culmination of all that scared the person away," Philip said.
Palo Alto police say it was actually the second of two incidents at the Baylands Nature Preserve. They believe the same man followed another woman 45 minutes earlier, but stopped short of physically attacking her.
The man is believed to be around 20 years old, 5 feet 8 inches tall, weighing 160 pounds, with black, buzzed hair. He was also wearing clear-colored studded earrings in both ears and had possible tattoos on both arms.
Regulars of the Baylands trail say they had always felt safe, considering its popularity and its proximity to the Palo Alto Golf Course. But now, many say they'll be making adjustments.
"Keep an eye on where other people are, you know, kind of watch out for each other," Margaret Cardiel said.
Palo Alto police plan release a composite sketch of the attacker Tuesday. Anyone with information pertaining to the incident may contact Palo Alto police's 24-hour dispatch center at (650)329-2413.
Bay City News contributed to this report
palo alto, crime, peninsula news, lilian kim
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- Senators reach deal extending jobless benefits
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF 20 min ago
- Car cleared from Caltrain tracks after collision
- Police search for possible shooter, lock down school 58 min ago
- Americans on track to spend $60B on pets this year
- Royal editor: Diana gave me leaked phone info 24 min ago
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday