Palo Alto prepares for President Obama fundraising event
PALO ALTO, Calif. (KGO) -- President Barack Obama is returning to the Bay Area Thursday for several events.
First he will attend a fundraising reception at a private home in Palo Alto, then later a dinner in Portola Valley. On Friday he'll give a speech on health care in San Jose.
No parking signs line Forest Avenue in Palo Alto, ahead of President Obama's Thursday fundraiser at the home of Mike McCue, a co-founder of Flipboard. It's one of two fundraising stops for the president and has neighbors excited.
"I'm delighted that he's coming to town," neighbor Deirdre McHugh said. "I can't speak for all of us, but my daughter and I and the rest of our family voted for President Obama and twice and we're thrilled that he's here on our street."
"I heard he came to Atherton and I thought that was pretty cool," neighbor Gerrit Van Zyll said. "And then it's crazy that it's right here out of all the places in Palo Alto."
The president was in Atherton in April for a pair of fundraiser events that left the city footing the bill for the extra services.
"We had to block off streets, expend funds from the public works department as well as provide extra security detail, etc from our police," Councilman Bill Widmer said.
According to the city councilman, it cost Atherton about $8,000. Invoices have been sent out to try to get reimbursed.
"One was to the White House, one was to the Secret Service, one was to the Democratic National Committee, and then also understanding perhaps we weren't going to get response from Washington, we broke the invoice up in half and sent one to each of the residents," Councilman Widmer said.
He says it's a drop in the bucket compared to the millions of dollars being raised.
These Palo Alto residents aren't worried about what it might cost their city.
"As long as it's money that's helping the Democratic Party," McHugh said.
"It's President Obama and he's such an iconic figure," Van Zyll said. "I think at least, so I think it's really cool,"
palo alto, atherton, portola valley, san jose, health care, barack obama, fundraiser, democrats, peninsula news, ama daetz
- Bay Area communities wake up to freezing temps
- Family, friends hold out hope for missing family
- Rally targets Sonoma County DA over teen's death
- BART unions file lawsuit against transit agency
- San Jose firefighters battle mobile home park blaze
- Truck with radioactive load stolen in Mexico
- Man grabs iPhone from pregnant woman at hospital
- San Jose lingerie company taking on 'Fit Mom'
- New video released of suspect who threw 2 cats into bay
- USPS looking for volunteers to answer letters to Santa
- Lockheed Martin challenges engineers to build a car in 1 day
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: SJ police contract; Construction moritorium
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos