Woman's body found in East Palo Alto apartment
EAST PALO ALTO, Calif. (KGO) -- A woman was found dead of an apparent stabbing at an East Palo Alto apartment on Newell Road. Police said the boyfriend of the woman was pulled over for drunk driving in Redwood City and while in jail he told deputies they would find a body at his apartment in East Palo Alto.
Officers arrived at the apartment arrived at 6:15 a.m. and found the body of the 47-year-old woman. Police say the 48-year-old parolee kept talking in jail and told them what happened. One investigator said this type of admission was a first for him in a homicide investigation.
Family members gathered at the scene to comfort each other. Neighbors say they're saddened but not surprised.
"Obviously they're saddened, devastated by this but they haven't given us any information that they thought this would occur," said East Palo Alto Police Officer Angel Sanchez.
"Murders, robberies, stuff like that," said Tamy Rhodes.
"(Is it) dangerous to live here?" asked ABC7's Matt Keller.
"You've got to be in before nighttime" said Rhodes.
Officers say because this was the suspect's apartment, once they determined the victim was dead, they had to wait for a search warrant before continuing their investigation. Once they're done at the apartment, they'll head to the San Mateo County Jail to talk to the suspect.
Officers confirmed that the suspect is on parole for a violent offense, but did not have details. The suspect has not been charged with murder, but that charge could come later today.
east palo alto, crime, peninsula news, matt keller
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos