Woman's body found in East Palo Alto apartment
EAST PALO ALTO, Calif. (KGO) -- A woman was found dead of an apparent stabbing at an East Palo Alto apartment on Newell Road. Police said the boyfriend of the woman was pulled over for drunk driving in Redwood City and while in jail he told deputies they would find a body at his apartment in East Palo Alto.
Officers arrived at the apartment arrived at 6:15 a.m. and found the body of the 47-year-old woman. Police say the 48-year-old parolee kept talking in jail and told them what happened. One investigator said this type of admission was a first for him in a homicide investigation.
Family members gathered at the scene to comfort each other. Neighbors say they're saddened but not surprised.
"Obviously they're saddened, devastated by this but they haven't given us any information that they thought this would occur," said East Palo Alto Police Officer Angel Sanchez.
"Murders, robberies, stuff like that," said Tamy Rhodes.
"(Is it) dangerous to live here?" asked ABC7's Matt Keller.
"You've got to be in before nighttime" said Rhodes.
Officers say because this was the suspect's apartment, once they determined the victim was dead, they had to wait for a search warrant before continuing their investigation. Once they're done at the apartment, they'll head to the San Mateo County Jail to talk to the suspect.
Officers confirmed that the suspect is on parole for a violent offense, but did not have details. The suspect has not been charged with murder, but that charge could come later today.
east palo alto, crime, peninsula news, matt keller
- Statewide AMBER Alert issued for abducted LA kids 55 min ago
- Woman found dead in Castro Valley home was shot
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Man fatally stuck by Caltrain near Atherton station
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Man gets 110 years to life for Hayward teen's murder
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer 23 min ago
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Paul Stanley: Kiss miffed at Rock Hall over snub
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos