Man hurt after falling 100-feet off cliff at Half Moon Bay Golf Course
HALF MOON BAY, Calif. (KGO) -- A man sustained major injuries after he fell 100-feet off a cliff at the Half Moon Bay Golf Course. It happened Sunday afternoon near the Ritz-Carlton.
Emergency responders say the man fell off the cliff near the 18th hole of the Half Moon Bay Golf Course Ocean Course.
Officials are not sure if he is a guest of the Ritz. All they know is that he's 25-years-old and he and the group of people that he was with are not from the area.
It's unknown what the man was doing along the edge of the cliff and what led to his fall.
There's a paved public access walkway several feet from the cliff's edge. And there are several signs that say "Danger unstable ground must stay on path." Unfortunately the young man did not heed those warnings.
"The cliff itself was pretty much vertical," Coastside Fire Protection District Battalion Chief Ari Delay said. "So it was a fall straight from the top all the way to the bottom and landed on the sand."
As for the young man's injuries, Battalion Chief Delay said, "Just that they are major injuries. Our paramedics were down there with the victim and I don't have any further details."
Crews were lucky they didn't have to use rope to rescue the man from the beach, which can be very time consuming.
They say there stairs about half a mile south that responders used to get to the man. He was later flown by helicopter to Stanford Hospital.
half moon bay, rescue, peninsula news, lilian kim
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Tri-Valley area could see higher drought rates
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Homicide suspected after body found in San Jose
- Measuring California's impact from affirmative action ban
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- 7OYS explains how to get free car inspections
- Sharks beat Kings 4-3 in OT, take 3-0 series lead
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Suspected San Jose homicide; Warriors Arena
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos