Former SFO baggage handler accused of stealing sentenced
SAN FRANCISCO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT -- A former United Airlines baggage handler at San Francisco International Airport who stole items from travelers' luggage after it had been checked must pay his victims more than $30,000 in restitution, a San Mateo County Superior Court judge ruled Wednesday.
George Reyes, 45, of San Francisco, pleaded no contest on Aug. 1 to felony embezzlement and theft, and was sentenced to six months in county jail and three years' supervised probation, District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.
Today, Reyes was ordered to pay a total of $32,366 in restitution to 21 victims. The restitution amount for each victim ranged from $150 to $6,000.
Reyes was arrested after San Francisco police officers with the department's airport division conducted a sting operation in May in which they planted iPads and purses in luggage and placed GPS trackers on the items, prosecutors said.
The items were taken from the bags, and GPS trackers revealed that they were inside Reyes' car as he drove home from work the day of the sting, according to the district attorney's office.
United Airlines had received more than 50 complaints of personal property being stolen from checked luggage, and an investigation into the complaints showed that Reyes was working at the time of the thefts, according to prosecutors.
Reyes began serving his sentence on Aug. 1.
san francisco international airport, redwood city, san mateo county, crime, iPad, SFPD, travel, peninsula news
- Cold snap could shatter 41-year-old Bay Area record
- Bay Area braces for chilly weather as cold snap hits
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage hikes 29 min ago
- Libyan officials say US teacher killed in Benghazi 7 min ago
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to shooting
- Bail for suspect in PS4 robbery in SF set at $5M
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- Local startup iHear to offer hearing aids online
- abcnews: Who's getting early Oscar buzz?
- roundup: SF shooting; Milpitas possible kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
38 min ago
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage...
29 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos