One injured, one arrested in Menlo Park shooting
MENLO PARK, Calif. -- A chaotic scene in Menlo Park on Wednesday night resulted in a victim shot, a police officer injured and a suspect behind bars on suspicion of attempted murder, a police commander said Thursday.
Dozens of people were outside an apartment complex in the 1300 block of Willow Road, a frontage road lined with apartment buildings, when two men got into an argument around 6 p.m.
Narcotics Enforcement Team officers in the Belle Haven area who were investigating an unrelated midday shooting responded to the scene to defuse a violent exchange between the two acquaintances, Menlo Park police Cmdr. Dave Bertini said.
"We received a call about a man with a gun and officers were there immediately," Bertini said.
Police located the suspect, Jaime Romero, 21, who then got into a struggle with an officer, Bertini said. Romero was detained and the handgun was recovered, and the officer suffered moderate injuries, according to police.
Minutes later, police located a victim who had been shot once "in the lower extremities," allegedly by Romero, who had first threatened the 24-year-old victim with a baseball bat, Bertini said.
The victim was transported to Stanford Hospital with injuries that were not life-threatening.
Romero, who had not had previous contacts with Menlo Park police, was transported to San Mateo County Jail and booked for attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon and resisting arrest.
Police do not believe the incident was gang-related.
menlo park, shooting, guns, violence, crime, peninsula news
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Mountain View police searching for missing boy 13 min ago
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- State oversight may tame California pot shops 31 min ago
- 1 dead, 3 injured in North Richmond shooting 4 min ago
- Gas prices may jump from California emissions law 16 min ago
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Object spotted may be part of missing...
29 min ago