1 dead, 2 injured in San Mateo home invasion
SAN MATEO, Calif. (KGO) -- One person has died and two others are injured after a gun battle in San Mateo late last night. The shootings took place at a home in a quiet residential neighborhood on Lodi Avenue at Norfolk Street.
San Mateo police say three armed suspects were attempting a home invasion robbery when they were confronted by at least four residents. One of the residents had a gun of his own and a gun battle erupted.
"Guns, multiple bullet holes and blood were found at the scene," said San Mateo Police Dept. Deputy Chief Mike Callagy.
A 24-year-old man who lives at the house was shot in the shoulder. He shot two of the three suspects who broke in. Police say the suspects took off in a dark SUV.
A neighbor saw it all:
"You see chaos, you see the girl screaming and you see, in the shadows, you can see people run across the street and then you see the guy dragging the body and the car takes off, another cars pulls up. They're yelling at that car to leave, to get out of here," said a neighbor.
The three suspects ended up at San Jose Regional Medical Center. One was dead on arrival and another was wounded. The third was not hurt and taken into custody. Police have not revealed a motive, but say the community is not in danger.
"We know that this was not a random act and that the suspects specifically targeted this house for reasons not entirely clear at this time," said Callagy.
Callagy said the suspects did steal stuff from the house, but he won't say what. He also said more arrests are coming. The suspects are facing charges including robbery and homicide.
san mateo, crime, shooting, san jose, SJPD, peninsula news, katie marzullo
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker 1 min ago
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries 4 min ago
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- 6 Nepalese guides dead, 9 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Student with Down syndrome accepted to college
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear in court
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed