1 dead, 2 injured in San Mateo home invasion
SAN MATEO, Calif. (KGO) -- One person has died and two others are injured after a gun battle in San Mateo late last night. The shootings took place at a home in a quiet residential neighborhood on Lodi Avenue at Norfolk Street.
San Mateo police say three armed suspects were attempting a home invasion robbery when they were confronted by at least four residents. One of the residents had a gun of his own and a gun battle erupted.
"Guns, multiple bullet holes and blood were found at the scene," said San Mateo Police Dept. Deputy Chief Mike Callagy.
A 24-year-old man who lives at the house was shot in the shoulder. He shot two of the three suspects who broke in. Police say the suspects took off in a dark SUV.
A neighbor saw it all:
"You see chaos, you see the girl screaming and you see, in the shadows, you can see people run across the street and then you see the guy dragging the body and the car takes off, another cars pulls up. They're yelling at that car to leave, to get out of here," said a neighbor.
The three suspects ended up at San Jose Regional Medical Center. One was dead on arrival and another was wounded. The third was not hurt and taken into custody. Police have not revealed a motive, but say the community is not in danger.
"We know that this was not a random act and that the suspects specifically targeted this house for reasons not entirely clear at this time," said Callagy.
Callagy said the suspects did steal stuff from the house, but he won't say what. He also said more arrests are coming. The suspects are facing charges including robbery and homicide.
san mateo, crime, shooting, san jose, SJPD, peninsula news, katie marzullo
- Fatal crash closes WB I-580 lanes in Livermore 30 min ago
- Antioch man arrested after wild, high-speed chase 32 min ago
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- BART and unions to meet today over contract 1 min ago
- San Jose fire crews battle one-alarm house fire
- 32 students participating in 'shop with a cop' event
- Gridlock in the Senate, progress in the House
- OTRC: Golden Globes 2014: Full list of nominations 8 min ago
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Robbery suspect shot; BART dispute
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Inside look at SF Ballet's 'Nutcracker'
27 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos