Fisherman's hat connects suspect to string of sex crimes
SANTA CLARA COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- A registered sex offender is now facing multiple charges for several different crimes committed over the summer, from the Peninsula to the South Bay. Police are concerned there could be more cases out there that haven't yet been reported.
Investigators say it was the suspect's fisherman-style hat that helped them connect the dots. Police say 70-year-old Christopher Miller is responsible for a string of sex crimes that began in early summer.
"The hat was one of the connections. He's a bald-headed older white male, so there were similarities already," said San Mateo Police Sgt. Dave Norris.
Investigators say the first incident was at the Barnes and Noble in San Mateo. Police say surveillance cameras captured Miller luring a 10-year-old girl into a hallway where he sexually assaulted her.
The second incident happened at a Burger King in Union City where police say Miller exposed himself to a mother and three girls. But it was the third incident when police say they finally caught up with Miller. They arrested him in a parking lot outside Walmart in Mountain View after a customer caught him touching himself inside the store.
Customers were relieved to hear about the arrest.
Christopher Miller has been charged with only one offense so far. Other charges are pending. In the meantime, he's being held at the Santa Clara County Jail on $1 million bail.
mountain view, sex crimes, sex offender, children, union city, san mateo, peninsula news, lilian kim
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday