Man fatally struck in Atherton hit-and-run
ATHERTON, Calif. -- A pedestrian was fatally struck in a hit-and-run in Atherton this morning, a police lieutenant said.
Police received a call at 5:46 a.m. from someone who said they saw a body on the side of the road on Glenwood Avenue near Middlefield Road, Atherton police Lt. Joe Wade said.
Officers responded and found that a man believed to be between 25 and 40 years old had been struck and killed by a vehicle, Wade said. The man's name was not immediately being released.
The vehicle that struck the pedestrian drove away and has not been found, Wade said.
He said anyone who may have witnessed the hit-and-run or who has information about the case is asked to call Atherton police at (650) 688-6500.
Middlefield Road, a main thoroughfare in Atherton, was expected to be closed between Oak Grove and Encinal avenues until later this morning while police investigate the death, Wade said.
atherton, hit and run, peninsula news
- Fiery crash closes WB I-580 lanes in Livermore 2 min ago
- Man leads police on wild chase around Antioch
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- BART and unions to meet today over contract
- San Jose fire crews battle one-alarm house fire 48 min ago
- 32 students participating in 'shop with a cop' event
- Gridlock in the Senate, progress in the House
- OTRC: Golden Globes 2014: Full list of nominations 49 min ago
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Robbery suspect shot; BART dispute
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos