Attempted abduction at school in Redwood City
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (KGO) -- Redwood City police are posting extra security at schools throughout the city today after a man tried to get a young student into his pickup truck at John F. Kennedy Middle School. School officials said they've talked with students about what happened yesterday and police say they're trying to track down the suspect.
Parents went the extra mile today getting their kids to class at the school today. Yesterday morning, a student said he was walking to class through a parking lot when a man in a pickup truck stopped, offered him marijuana and asked him to get in. The student immediately went to the office to report the incident and school officials called police.
"It's scary because my child comes here. You never know," said Venus Garcia, parent.
The Redwood City School District sent out an email to parents explaining what happened. Kennedy Middle School officials also called home and teachers spoke to students in class about the incident -- reminding them what they should do if they see or experience something suspicious.
"I always drop her close to the office," said Maria Padilla, parent.
"Just to be safe?" asked ABC7's Matt Keller.
"Just to be safe," said Padilla.
"And after this news are feeling a little more cautious?" asked Keller.
"Yeah," said Padilla.
Redwood City police say they are taking this incident seriously -- with officers doing extra patrols around schools today. They are also looking for video hoping the suspect and his pickup truck were caught on camera in the area.
Parents aren't taking any chances.
"Are you doing anything different?" asked Keller.
"Well, I'm bringing my kid to school and dropping him off to in front of the school," said Rigo Garcia, parent.
"He normally walks?" asked Keller.
"Sometimes, but not anymore," said Garcia.
Police say they are hoping to put a sketch together so they can get the public's help in tracking down this person.
redwood city, crime, children, peninsula news, matt keller
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose
- Accident cleared from EB lanes of the Bay Bridge
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Cal housing vote; Candlestick soccer 6 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday