Couple walking dog in Menlo Park killed by alleged drunk driver
MENLO PARK, Calif. -- Two people walking a dog were struck from behind and killed by a suspected drunken driver in Menlo Park Thursday night, a police commander said.
The victims, a man and a woman in their 50s, were walking along Chilco Street west of Constitution Drive at 6:54 p.m., Cmdr. Dave Bertini said.
A car driving east behind them struck them from behind, launching them in the air and onto the street. The car then swerved across the center divider, hit another car, and slammed into a tree, Bertini said.
Police arrived and found the couple dead at the scene and the dog they were walking injured.
The suspect's car was still against the tree when police arrived and the driver, identified as Marjorie Reitzell, 54, of Redwood City, was taken to Stanford Hospital, Bertini said.
Investigators determined that Reitzell had been drinking and arrested her at the hospital. Once she is released she will be booked into jail on suspicion of two counts of gross vehicular manslaughter and DUI, Bertini said.
The car that Reitzell allegedly struck remained at the scene. No one inside was injured and the vehicle sustained only minor damage, Bertini said.
menlo park, pedestrian struck, DUI, animal, animals in peril, peninsula news
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes 36 min ago
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk 33 min ago
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on...
36 min ago