Suspect who fatally struck Menlo Park couple to appear in court
MENLO PARK, Calif. -- A 53-year-old woman accused of drunken driving and killing a Menlo Park couple walking their dog last week is scheduled to appear in San Mateo County Superior Court this afternoon, according to the district attorney's office.
Marjorie Reitzell, of Redwood City, allegedly had a blood-alcohol level of more than twice the legal limit of .08 percent when her 1998 Honda veered into the bike lane on Chilco Street at about 7 p.m. on Thursday, San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.
Reitzell, who was on probation for a 2012 DUI conviction, struck 45-year-old Kamal Singh, and 50-year-old Balbir Singh from behind, throwing the couple into the air, according to Menlo Park police Cmdr. Dave Bertini.
The victims, who have three teenage children, died at the scene. The Singhs' dog was injured in the collision and was taken to the Peninsula Humane Society for treatment.
Wagstaffe said Reitzill continued driving and struck a car carrying four teenagers, causing minor injuries.
She then crashed into a tree, where she was found by first responders and taken into custody by police.
Reitzill has been charged with two counts of gross vehicular manslaughter and two counts of DUI causing injury, Wagstaffe said.
She is being held in San Mateo County Jail on $2 million bail.
Reitzill was due to be arraigned on Monday, but asked for a continuance due to a medical issue just before the proceeding, Wagstaffe said.
menlo park, pedestrian struck, DUI, animal, animals in peril, alcohol, peninsula news
- SFPD SWAT in standoff with shooting suspect 16 min ago
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Malaysia: No engine data after plane went missing 47 min ago
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Report: DNA on SJ cop's vest in rape investigation
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Recall issued for Fitbit Force over skin problems
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- roundup: Fatal motorcycle accident; Watsonville...
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
43 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos