Delta planes arrives at SFO after emergency landing in Alaska
SAN FRANCISCO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (KGO) -- It's something you never want to hear on a flight -- potential engine failure. That's what happened to passengers on a Delta Airlines flight headed from Tokyo to San Francisco International Airport.
The pilot was forced to make a landing in Cold Bay, Alaska. That's near the Aleutian Islands. Passengers had to wait 10 hours for a replacement jet.
The delayed reunion at SFO was a happy one for Caitlin and Baber Amin of Sunnyvale. Baber was flying home after spending a week in Malaysia and Singapore for business.
Delta Flight 208 from Tokyo had to make an emergency landing in the remote town of Cold Bay. He texted Caitlin, who didn't get worried until she heard some of the details of what happened.
"About the engine failure and then the lights going out before they landed and there was a whole heap of extra drama that went on," she said. "And the pilot, I just want to give him a big hug. He was awesome. He saved the day."
A Delta spokesperson says the unscheduled landing came after crewmembers received an engine warning message in the cockpit. But at no point was the engine shut down in flight.
Josh Hinz of Danville was also on the flight.
"In flight you could feel it kind of shimmy, made some noise, I kinda dosed off in between," he said. "The captain came on and announced that we were turning toward Alaska and we would land in about an hour."
Once they landed, the passengers were able to pass the time at a local watering hole.
Baber took a picture for his wife. Both are extremely thankful for the pilot.
"He's a veteran, 20 plus years, he did a good job," Baber said.
A great job getting all 167 passengers and 11 crewmembers onboard back on the ground safely.
san francisco international airport, emergency landing, peninsula news, ama daetz
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang 32 min ago
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos