Man sentenced for motorcyclist's death in EPA crash
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. -- An East Palo Alto man who prosecutors said was smoking crack as he led police on a chase that ended in the death of a motorcyclist was sentenced to 59 years to life in prison Friday, according to District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe.
Eric Anthony Banford, 48, was given the maximum possible sentence after being found guilty in July of charges including second-degree murder, vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence, felony evading a police officer and hit-and-run causing great bodily injury or death, Wagstaffe said.
Banford was convicted in connection with the Sept. 28, 2011, death of motorcyclist Danny Dixon, who he struck on University Avenue during a police pursuit.
Police were pursuing Banford in connection with a reported home break-in. Prosecutors said he had been using cocaine and alcohol, and was speeding and disregarding his passengers' pleas for him to stop at the time of the collision.
Banford's previous convictions include voluntary manslaughter for a March 1991 incident in which he punched a person during a drug robbery in East Palo Alto, killing the victim, Wagstaffe said. He was sentenced to 16 years in that case and served eight.
Wagstaffe said the victim's wife read a "very emotional" letter about how much she missed her husband, and asking the court to please punish the man who took him away.
east palo alto, police chase, crash, murder, crime, drugs, alcohol, peninsula news
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe 13 min ago
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239 41 min ago
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California! 45 min ago
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
9 min ago