Man sentenced for motorcyclist's death in EPA crash
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. -- An East Palo Alto man who prosecutors said was smoking crack as he led police on a chase that ended in the death of a motorcyclist was sentenced to 59 years to life in prison Friday, according to District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe.
Eric Anthony Banford, 48, was given the maximum possible sentence after being found guilty in July of charges including second-degree murder, vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence, felony evading a police officer and hit-and-run causing great bodily injury or death, Wagstaffe said.
Banford was convicted in connection with the Sept. 28, 2011, death of motorcyclist Danny Dixon, who he struck on University Avenue during a police pursuit.
Police were pursuing Banford in connection with a reported home break-in. Prosecutors said he had been using cocaine and alcohol, and was speeding and disregarding his passengers' pleas for him to stop at the time of the collision.
Banford's previous convictions include voluntary manslaughter for a March 1991 incident in which he punched a person during a drug robbery in East Palo Alto, killing the victim, Wagstaffe said. He was sentenced to 16 years in that case and served eight.
Wagstaffe said the victim's wife read a "very emotional" letter about how much she missed her husband, and asking the court to please punish the man who took him away.
east palo alto, police chase, crash, murder, crime, drugs, alcohol, peninsula news
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit 51 min ago
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 33 11 min ago
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Scratch lotto ticket bought in Milpitas worth $1.3M 8 min ago
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster...
11 min ago