Police investigating fatal hit-and-run in San Mateo
SAN MATEO, Calif. (KGO) -- Police are now speaking to two drivers they believe were involved in a fatal pedestrian accident Monday morning on a busy San Mateo road during rush hour traffic.
One driver stopped about 50 yards up the street. The second driver drove away, but later contacted investigators to tell them what they had done.
A tattered backpack, black shoes and what appears to be a bag of recyclable materials were scattered across the southbound lanes of El Camino Real.
Police say that an adult man, possibly in his late 40's, died after being hit by a car while crossing near the Highway 92 entrance just after 6 a.m.
"We immediately began to close up some of the on ramps to Highway 92," San Mateo Police Department Sgt. Dave Norris said.
The impact to drivers starting their morning commute was immediate. Traffic was reduced to a single lane and San Mateo traffic control officers directed drivers to go west on Highway 92, keeping them clear of the crime scene just yards ahead.
Police say more than one car was involved.
"We believe there were two vehicles involved that hit this victim. I don't know what the exact order was of the two vehicles. I know that one stopped and one didn't initially and that person is now cooperating with us," Norris said.
At this time, police are still classifying this as a hit-and-run. Neither driver has been charged with a crime.
Police say they are aware of a homeless encampment near the area, but are not sure that the victim was associated with that encampment.
They are still trying to identify the victim and find out where he may have been going.
highway 92, san mateo, crime, crash, hit and run, pedestrian struck, peninsula news
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van 55 min ago
- Balboa Park BART station reopens after fatality
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Student wins cooking contest with sandwich creation
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos