Massage therapist in Palo Alto faces sexual battery charges
PALO ALTO, Calif. -- A former massage therapist at a Palo Alto day spa has been arrested for allegedly sexually assaulting multiple female customers in 2012.
Rajesh Kumar Vashisht, 35, of Menlo Park, was arrested on suspicion of sexual battery on Wednesday after turning himself in to the Palo Alto Police Department.
Police said the arrest came about a year after a woman in her late teens reported to police that Vashisht sexually assaulted her during a June 2012 massage appointment at LaBelle Day Spa & Salon at 855 El Camino Real, according to police.
Working with salon staff, detectives found three more women who reported that the suspect had sexually assaulted them during appointments at the spa's Stanford Shopping Center location between February 2012 and December 2012, police said.
By the time detectives were able to find and interview the women, the suspect no longer worked at the salon, police said.
After police presented the case to the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office, prosecutors charged Vashisht with misdemeanor sexual battery, according to police.
He surrendered Wednesday on a warrant for his arrest, was booked at the Palo Alto police station and later released on bail.
Detectives are not aware of any other victims in this case but are asking anyone with further information about the suspect to call Palo Alto police at (650) 329-2413. Those who wish to remain anonymous may leave a message at (650) 383-8984 or email paloaltotipnow.org.
palo alto, menlo park, crime, sex crimes, peninsula news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City 29 min ago
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- Consumer Reports tests toothbrushes
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Two injured in accident on Almaden Expressway 33 min ago
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown