Missing Belmont autistic teen found safe
BELMONT, Calif. -- An autistic teen who was reported missing Monday evening in Belmont was found safe this morning, a police captain said.
Tyler Edward Simmons, 16, was last seen at Ralston Middle School at 2675 Ralston Ave. around 7 p.m. Monday, Belmont police Capt. Patrick Halleran said.
A citizen found Tyler in San Carlos around 6:30 a.m. today and he has been reunited with his family, police said.
Tyler is a student at Carlmont High School and lived in Belmont until 18 months ago when his family moved to Fremont, police said. He has the mental capacity of an 8-year-old and authorities were concerned for his safety, Halleran said.
Tyler was dismissed from school at 3 p.m. Monday and usually goes to the Belmont Public Library where his father picks him up between 4:30 p.m. and 5 p.m., Halleran said.
His father went to the library Monday afternoon but did not find Tyler, according to police.
Family members searched multiple spots in Belmont, and a custodian at Ralston Middle School reported seeing saw Tyler around 7 p.m., he said. The family searched the campus without success and contacted police around 8:15 p.m., Halleran said.
Foul play is not suspected in Tyler's disappearance, and police believe he may have left because of a dispute with his parents.
belmont, missing person, peninsula news
- San Jose police officer arrested for sexual assault
- Crews fix broken water main in SF's Lower Haight
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday