San Francisco News
'Gas Free Fridays' kick off in SF
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Starting today, if you leave the car at home and bike to work on Fridays, not only will you save gas, and earn you the admiration of your colleagues, you can stop and get a free snack on the way in.
The idea of "Gas-free Fridays" can work in any city, and today is the first one in this coordinated effort in San Francisco to get residents to pump less fuel and pedal more.
The San Francisco bicycle coalition is launching "Gas-free Fridays" -- it's hoping to encourage more people to substitute at least one short car trip with a bicycle trip, at least once a week.
Not only is it a healthy alternative, but also financially and environmentally-friendly. The more you bike, the less you have to fill up with Friday's costly gas.
Biking also means less pollution, the coalition says that 50-percent of the greenhouse gas emissions in this city come from transportation.
To motivate cyclists to go gas-free on Fridays, the bicycle coalition is cheering people on with their own kind of "fuel station". The "fuel" they're offering is free coffee, tea and snacks. These gas-free energizing stations will be held at a different location around the city each Friday during the month of October. This Friday it's on Market and 12th Streets from 7:30 to 9:30 this morning.
san francisco news, teresa garcia
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward 7 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose 4 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos