San Francisco News
175 Prop 8 protesters arrested
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- More than 175 people were arrested Tuesday as same-sex marriage supporters staged a demonstration. About 200 people blocked an intersection at San Francisco City Hall following the California Supreme Court's ruling to uphold Prop 8.
Same-sex marriage supporters rushed into the intersection of Grove and Van Ness Tuesday morning. The demonstration was peaceful, though traffic was blocked for most of the day.
Lisa Angelot and Karen Brandenberger were married when it was legal, but they say their own marriage is not enough, and they were prepared to be arrested to make the point.
"It will be my first time to be arrested," said Angelot.
Robert Franco and Shawn Higgins' engagement will now go on indefinitely.
"I'm still surprised though, seriously, because it's California. This is where interracial marriage was first introduced in the books," said Higgins.
Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender officers were brought in to help manage the crowd. After a couple hours police began making arrests.
Organizers say they had been planning non-violent events for weeks in anticipation of a possible disappointing decision from the state Supreme Court.
"We really wanted to focus a lot of the anger in a way that shows who we really are because we're not a violent people. We are here about love," said Jo Hoenninger of Marriage Equality USA.
Motorists were re-routed around the intersection.
"I'm not annoyed at all because I think they have a good cause," said driver Sarah Stocker. "I'm trying to go see a client. I'm late for a meeting, but that's OK."
The intersection at Grove and Van Ness was blocked from about 10:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. The demonstrators arrested were cited and released.
san francisco news, heather ishimaru
- Bay to Breakers draws thousands to San Francisco 4 min ago
- 8th stage of Amgen Tour of California kicks off in SF
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists
- Suspicious package in Livermore prompts evacuation
- SF police ask for help in solving 2012 B2B homicide 5 min ago
- Shooting in Oakland kills 1, injures another
- Crews battle fire at inner Mission apartment building
- Milone's long skid ends as A's beat Royals
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Bay to Breakers draws thousands to San...
4 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos