San Francisco News
175 Prop 8 protesters arrested
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- More than 175 people were arrested Tuesday as same-sex marriage supporters staged a demonstration. About 200 people blocked an intersection at San Francisco City Hall following the California Supreme Court's ruling to uphold Prop 8.
Same-sex marriage supporters rushed into the intersection of Grove and Van Ness Tuesday morning. The demonstration was peaceful, though traffic was blocked for most of the day.
Lisa Angelot and Karen Brandenberger were married when it was legal, but they say their own marriage is not enough, and they were prepared to be arrested to make the point.
"It will be my first time to be arrested," said Angelot.
Robert Franco and Shawn Higgins' engagement will now go on indefinitely.
"I'm still surprised though, seriously, because it's California. This is where interracial marriage was first introduced in the books," said Higgins.
Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender officers were brought in to help manage the crowd. After a couple hours police began making arrests.
Organizers say they had been planning non-violent events for weeks in anticipation of a possible disappointing decision from the state Supreme Court.
"We really wanted to focus a lot of the anger in a way that shows who we really are because we're not a violent people. We are here about love," said Jo Hoenninger of Marriage Equality USA.
Motorists were re-routed around the intersection.
"I'm not annoyed at all because I think they have a good cause," said driver Sarah Stocker. "I'm trying to go see a client. I'm late for a meeting, but that's OK."
The intersection at Grove and Van Ness was blocked from about 10:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. The demonstrators arrested were cited and released.
san francisco news, heather ishimaru
- 4.4 earthquake strikes Southern California
- Obama announces sanctions on Russian officials 41 min ago
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord
- CHP reopens two lanes of WB I-80 in SF
- EU mulling next steps against Russia over Ukraine
- Jet search expands north, south; mystery persists 37 min ago
- Marijuana grow found at San Jose house fire
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos