San Francisco News
Lombard Street turned into 'Candyland'
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco's Lombard Street in Russian Hill looked like the windy path of the classic children's board game "Candyland."
Toymaker Hasbro converted Lombard Street into Candyland on Wednesday. It hired costumed characters and turned this landmark into a block-long, crooked version of the beloved board game.
"You must have paid the city for this," said ABC7's Wayne Freedman.
"No, we didn't. Candyland has been cherished for years by millions of people," said Christina Gomes from Hasbro.
And clearly, corporations keep to very tight scripts. The company paid all costs and reimbursed residents for landscaping and received mixed reviews.
"I don't mind it, but some of my neighbors do," said a Lombard Street resident.
As for the game itself, four teams of kids went down Lombard Street and stopped at points of interest -- or so we're told.
In reality Lombard Street looked more like one big sugar rush.
"They're going down, we're going up. No, we go down, they go back up," said kids participating in the game.
For the record, a team of kids from UCSF Medical Center won the contest. The green team finished second.
"I don't think we'll ever do this again," said a participant.
Not even in 60 more years, assuming board games even exist.
san francisco news, wayne freedman
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry 33 min ago
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Another woman reported missing on Mt. Tam 37 min ago
- San Leandro High teacher arrested for sex with minor
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game 4 min ago
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child
- Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants 2-1 to avoid sweep
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch
- Firework thrown into bleachers during...
4 min ago