San Francisco News
H1N1 flu vaccine arrives in SF
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Hundreds of people in San Francisco are getting their first vaccine against the H1N1 virus. About 28,000 doses are being given at nine public clinics. But, of course, it won't be enough to meet demand.
People waited in line two to three hours before city clinics made the vaccine available in both injectable and nasal mist forms.
Jane Bliss said it was worth the wait.
"I think so because it's not a very nice disease," she said.
"I have asthma and he [her son] is little," said Rebecca Lien.
Here's who should be getting the vaccine first:
- Pregnant women
- People six months to 24 years old
- Someone who lives or cares for an infant
- Health care and emergency respondents
- And now adults 25 to 64 with a medical condition
A second batch of the vaccine, when it arrives, will go to hospitals and private doctors in San Francisco.
There have been unexpected delays in making the vaccine. The main suppliers are based in Europe and Australia.
Many cities in the U.S. have received fewer doses than anticipated. Still, it is a huge undertaking for a vaccine that is in such in high demand.
According to the CDC, so far 1,000 people in the U.S. have died from confirmed H1N1 flu since April 2009. Ninety-five of those have been children 17 years or younger.
san francisco news, lyanne melendez
- One dead, another critical in San Francisco fire
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Police search for men over attempted bank robbery
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped 46 min ago
- BART unveils new train car design in SF 37 min ago
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Florida school board member wants parent dress code 39 min ago
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Youth coach sentenced; SF two-alarm fire
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
37 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos